Apr 28, 2020
An influx of grocery store traffic has led to challenges with keeping up with demand and fluctuations in staff availability. Grocery store owners have really stepped up to the plate to keep supermarkets, an essential business, operating smoothly. The following tips were designed to protect and secure your employees and customers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Speak to your local law enforcement about traffic control.
- Hire security officers during busy hours as a physical deterrent to keep shoppers from acting out.
- Install monitored security cameras in light of potential theft during frenzied times.
- Keep your store(s) as organized as possible, including organization and direction for long lines and layouts that allow for the visibility of your shoppers.
- Hire extra staff if possible.
- If you are working with a skeleton crew due to the pandemic, be sure everyone is on the same page and ready to rise to the challenge.
- Implement new policies and protocols if needed and thoroughly train your staff on them.
- Familiarize yourself with effective interpersonal skills and techniques for times when customers are being unreasonable.
- Install a panic button if needed.
- Offer curbside pickup, home delivery and any viable alternatives to keep shoppers in the store to a minimum.