Oct 30, 2019
School is in full swing, which means kids are in and out of the house a lot. Even the best teenagers are prone to accidents, peer pressure and forgetfulness. Short of hiring a security guard to stand at your front door, you’re doing everything you can to keep them safe. Check out this list of how to get the most out of your home security system (and Total ConnectTM) when you have teenagers in the house!
- Teen Suite in the Basement: Rely on professionally installed, monitored smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure everyone is safe and you can be alerted in the event of a fire on another level of the home.
- Sneaky Teens: Use properly placed motion sensors and door/window contacts to make sure nobody can escape quietly.
- Eyes Everywhere: Use video cameras to keep an eye on activity in and outside the house. Also useful for communicating when devices are dead!
- Teen Tracking: Assign each child to have their own code to unarm your home security system so that you know if they are home before curfew, even if you’re occupied when they arrive.
- Forgetful Teens: If your teenager is arriving home before you, unlock the door remotely when they inevitably forget their keys.
- Forgetful the Sequel: Since kids often forget to put the garage door down, close it remotely from your phone or any web-enabled device.
- Home Alone: Consider panic buttons for responsible teens left home alone (or for the babysitter).
- Curious Kids: Some kids want to mess with everything! Use your smart home’s remote temperature control to keep your thermostat settings regulated even when you are not home.
- Trusting Teens: Don’t let your trusting teens open the door to strangers. Instead, get a wireless Doorbell Camera so they always know who is on the other side.
Trouble isn’t always headed into your house, sometimes it’s headed out. Keep your kiddos safe - and your home “teen-proof” - with the above tips and let us know if there is anything we can do to help!