Dec 05, 2018
Christmas is the most wonderful - and often most stressful - time of the year! Not only are there many details to plan, gifts to buy, trips to take and guests to host, but there are also thieves to avoid. They are lurking because they know what’s inside...big ticket items under that tree. Now is a great time to step up your home security efforts. Find our top holiday home safety tips below!
- Don’t Discard Packaging. Keep your expensive gifts on the down-low by disposing of the packaging elsewhere if possible (take boxes to your local recycling center, for example).
- Keep Your Mail and Packages Moving. Avoid the common mistake of letting your mail, newspaper and packages build up outside while you’re traveling...or even while you’re away at work. Package thieves have made headlines across America and they aren’t easy to catch which means they aren’t likely to stop. A single HD camera at your doorstep can help deter - and catch - package thieves!
- Lights Out = Thieves In. Traveling for the holidays? Just as you would for any other extended absence, keep a few lights on throughout your home using inexpensive timers or smart home automation.
PRO TIP: Ask a trusted neighbor or friend to come over a few times so the home and yard appear to be lived-in.
- Avoid Advertising Your Whereabouts. Doing a little Black Friday shopping? Weekend getaway? Avoid checking in on Facebook and posting all of your Instagram-worthy photos until you’ve returned home. This way, you’re not advertising that your home is free and clear for break-ins for long stretches of time.
- Hire Cautiously. Speaking of announcing your whereabouts, hired help is typically around when nobody is home so be sure to hire insured companies you trust. And refrain from sharing every last detail of your social life with people who have access to your home!
- Lock Up. This one seems obvious but many of us are still too trusting with our homes and cars. Locking up can be the difference between a break-in and your perpetrator moving on to lower hanging fruit. You might also want to change your locks if they haven’t been changed in a while.
PRO TIP: When you drop your car off at the mechanic or with a valet driver, don’t give your entire keychain to them but, instead, only the valet key to your car. This prevents access to making copies of your house key.
- Secure It As Though Your Life Depends On It. It just might. We cannot emphasize enough the importance of a monitored home security system for the safety of you and your family.
“We like how they call right away when the alarm goes off. We had an issue and had to place a service ticket. They called us right away and were out to take a look the same day. Per Mar has been great to work with, and we have been a customer now for almost 4 years!”
Rob & Danelle | Home Security Customer
Your home should always have someone or something keeping tabs on it. You aren’t always able to be that someone. We can help.
Did you know we offer a performance guarantee? If your residence is burglarized and our system fails, we’ll reimburse your paid homeowners insurance deductible up to $1,000. That’s how confident we are in our home security systems!