Nov 15, 2018
Check out this week’s blog on how to get the most out of your home security system, which, like most technology, has capabilities beyond what meets the eye!
1. 24/7 Monitoring is a Must
To get the absolute most out of your alarm system, it really should be monitored. The loud sounds and flashing lights certainly serve as deterrents for most lawbreakers but, in those cases where an ambulance or higher form of security is needed, there’s just no replacement for having trained operators on standby to communicate with the authorities when you and your family aren’t able. Click here to learn more about our UL-listed, Five Diamond Certified and FM approved Monitoring Center.
2. Protect Your Pets & Furnishings
Did you know? Carbon monoxide fumes and water from a potential furnace, washer, refrigerator or freezer leak are all risks at home that can be monitored 24/7. If you have kids or pets at home while you’re at work, then additional concerns include extreme changes in temperature (when your furnace or A/C unit fail) and dangerous furnace fumes, not to mention the damage that water leaks can do to your drywall, floors and furniture!
It’s called environmental monitoring and 56% of Per Mar customers use it to prevent small problems from turning into larger ones. Piggybacking this technology with your existing security system is a snap! Ask us how.
3. Automate and Save on Power & Energy Bills and Then Some
Save on your power and energy bills by utilizing Total ConnectTMTM and Z-Wave technology to control the lights, locks and the temperature of your home. There are a couple of ways in which to go about this:
- Smart Home Automation means controlling your thermostat, garage door, lights and door locks plus setting scenes and schedules based on your family’s specific needs. As always, receive alerts right to your smartphone or other web-enabled devices for those times when you’re not home and the kids head out for soccer practice, leaving the lights on and the garage door wide open.
- Lyric™ Controller Home Security System works with Total ConnectTMTM to add a few handy features:
- Get voice plus visual alarms (in addition to audible alarms).
- Ties together smart home automation, carbon monoxide monitoring, smoke detection, intrusion and your kids getting home from school safely.
- Create “scenes”, such as leaving the home, so that it automatically knows to turn off the lights, set the security alarm and turn the thermostat up or down.
- Controlled by the touch of a button or the sound of your voice** using an app, Siri, Apple Watch® or Apple TV®, control Lyric™ and other Z-Wave compatible devices (like lights, locks and thermostats).
*Limited to new systems with Total Connect and Z-Wave capabilities.
**Compatible with and certified for Apple HomeKit.
4. ACT Auto Texting
When there is a potential emergency, you’ll always get a phone call, but, for non-emergency alarm events such as low battery alerts, you can now sign up to receive text messages or emails. Customers find this very helpful when leading their very busy lives! For no additional fee, sign up here for text alerts for non-emergency alarm events. Just keep in mind that when a call comes in, it’s best to respond right away whereas texts are less urgent.
5. Added Layer of Security
Get an added layer of security by registering your home security system with local law enforcement (usually for a fee). Check with your local police department to find out if it is available and a requirement in your area.
When the things that matter most are at stake, you don’t stop at half done. Seeing things through is just what you do! And we’re not doing our due diligence if we don’t share the many facets of home security with you. Protecting you is just what we do! Contact us for more information or to request a free quote.