Sep 13, 2011
THE ABCs OF CRIME PREVENTIONBE SMART...BE SAFE!
- Always go straight home from school.
- Walk with classmates whenever you can - it’s safer.
- If someone tries to touch you, hurt you, or make you do something that you know is wrong, tell your parents, or another adult such as a teacher or police officer.
- Don’t talk to or go with strangers.
- Don’t join secret clubs.
- Always tell your parents or guardians where you are going.
- Play in safe places such as backyards and playgrounds.
- Never play in vacant buildings or construction areas.
- Respect other people’s property. Remember, they work hard to keep their property nice.
- Don’t let other kids talk you into ruining property or taking things that don’t belong to you.
- Obey the law!
- Call 911 if you need the police, fire department, or ambulance. They will send somebody to help you.
ALCOHOL & DRUGS
- Remember...alcohol and drugs are not smart. People who use them do not like themselves very much. They hurt your body and mess up your mind. You cannot think straight when you use them.
- Be alert when something strange is going on. Let an adult know what you have seen.
- Learn to remember what people and cars look like if you see something strange. Remember if it was a man or a woman and the color/length of his or her hair. Remember what kind of car they were driving and the color. If something happens and you need to call the police, any details you can remember will be of help to them.
- Try not to be scared. It is better if you stay calm.
- Let an adult know what has happened and they can help you.
- Ask an adult to help you mark your belongings with an engraver or marking pen. Use your parent’s driver’s license number.
- Obtain a bike license from the Police Department.
- Always lock your bike.
- A stranger is a person you do not know well. If you do not know the person, don’t go anywhere with them. Make up a secret code word that only you and your parents or guardians know. If someone you don’t know wants you to go with them, ask for the secret word. If they can’t tell you, don’t go!
Category: Home Security